söndag 26 december 2010

Open source LPC17xx development

This summer I wanted to try something new in the microcontroller area and decided to advance from 8-bit AVR and PIC to 32-bit ARM. There is a jungle of ARM-based microcontrollers out there and deciding on which one is "the best" isn't very easy. I ended up choosing an NXP LPC17xx Cortex-M3 based micro controller since the price was fairly good and I found MicropendousX, an open hardware dev-board project with free open source schematics and pcb-layout in KiCad (free open source EDA-tool) format.
I used the 1758 version (Seems abandoned in favour for the 1768) but removed ethernet and redrew the layout using more hole-mounted components to make it easier to mount, probe and re-wire.

I will add the schematic and board files someday, hopefully soon...

The result:
Features:
A simple "Wiggler" parallel port programmer and OpenOCD works fine to program and debug the micro controller. I think I used the programmer described here but with a connector that fits my board.

The GNU toolchain I use is the arm-none-eabi lite edition of G++ from Codesourcery.

As an IDE I use Eclipse. Stepping through C and assembler code works like a charm. I think I used these instructions to get it working.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar